A poem for Monday

When I was little, and I suppose still now, I struggled with those ideas that we're all part of the same thing, one whole, connected in some deep and mysterious way. I wanted to be autonomous. And it didn't mean that I didn't care for others or for the world, but I suppose I wanted to be a singular too. I love this poem because it looms so large and thunders out, but there's such a sweet surrender to it. We're all the Mississippi. It's by Aram Saroyan.

I'm the Mississipi
I'm the Mississippi. Nothing
Can stop me. Everything goes my way
Or I flow over, around, or under it,
Changing my dimensions as I go.

Trees, rocks, the animal and human kingdom
Are all passengers of my will. I treat them
As they treat me, loving the way I go on and on
Until I meet the sea. I'm the Mississippi.

Men sail me as I sail them, no better and
No Worse. I'm a river, in the end, not a destination.
Nothing comes between me and my own motion.
I embrace it, and it becomes me, the Mississippi.

2 comments:

  1. yes it's beautiful and, for me, embodies the idea of not resisting and not forcing things, thank you, margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.